Wednesday, June 24, 2009

An Artist in Alf Naman's Building on 11th Ave





I ran into Pablo De Ritis from the Core Club on 10th Avenue in Chelsea and he invited me to join him and Meghan to go to Annabelle's studio. Annabelle is in Alf Naman's building on 11th Avenue and 21st Street.

I must say, in the last year or so I've got to know Alf and I really like what he's doing for artists now. First he donated a building for them to work in for free for three years. I'm sure artists thanked him with art, but now he's renting spaces too, at very little cost to artists.

It was great to see Annabelle's work, and to hear about her process. She's a computer programmer and a song writer too. Brilliant!

I know other artists in Alf's building, like Tom Beale, whose work I've admired for years. He created Honey Space around the corner from the museum, which has mounted many great shows and performances in the last year or so.

No comments: