Monday, January 6, 2014

Fabulous Exhibitions in NYC Right Now

Isa Genzken at MoMA really rocked my world. Having only seen a few works of this artist I hadn't experienced the diversity or "spirit" of the work, so to speak. I decided at the first opportunity I will try to support her by buying one of her works :)

Magritte, one of my eternally favorite artists, was also well represented in MoMA's exhibition which included some well known masterpieces along with other works from private collections.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Balthus: Cats and Girls (why not title it Cats and Cats or Girls and Pussies?!? I wondered) was good, as these sorts of exhibitions go.  New work is always something worth seeing. Two paintings from their private collection that weren't in the current exhibition, but in the galleries for 21st Paintings, were the icing on the cake for me.

The Mountain, 1936–37
Balthus (Balthasar Klossowski)
Oil on canvas; 98 x 144 in
The Met also showed a wonderful installation by William Kentridge and a small but important exhibition of portraits by Julia Margaret Cameron, who in her time photographed the mother of Virginia Woolf.

Julia Jackson (1867)
27.4x20.6 (cm)
Julia Margaret Cameron



No comments: