Wednesday, November 5, 2008

44th President of the United States of America: Barack Obama!









I didn't want to believe it even as people around me were celebrating last night. I was too beat up from the eight years before to take for granted a win that might be taken away. But the results of last night's elections reaffirmed my belief in the democratic process, in America, and in Americans. Not complacent to stay at home and watch on TV, people mobilized and did something; not just for themselves, but for the country. Everyone I asked yesterday said they had voted. I'm proud to be an American and look forward to the hard work ahead that Barack endorses, as the panacea this country needs to move forward.

The feeling in NYC was euphoric, as if the Yankees had won the world series. I'll let the pics aaspeak for themselves; from Petrossino Square where Cafe Select, La Esquinqa and Storefront for Art and Architecture made a block party, to my friend's loft in Tribeca where Wael Nourredine my filmmaker friend in the picture joined us, to the Box where there was an election party, all along the way, people were out, celebrating.

And if you click on the title of this post you'll see the words of a poet, Derek Walcott, who lived many years in Trinidad and Tobago, where I was born.

No comments: