Monday, May 4, 2009

Impressionist and Modern Sales Are On


I went to a cocktail party at Sotheby's after John Chamberlain. Some great work, though not a lot of it. Some paintings by Tamara de Lempicka. I love her work. They came from some German guy's collection. I guess German, but could be wrong; Wolfgang Joop. There was an Egon Schiele too. And of course the Mondrian. I think the slim pickings are a result of several factors; perhaps people selling privately; looking for a higher sale price; or anonymity. Who knows? For sure some dealers are doing well in the downtown...

There were some young people there. A certain blonde art heiress who I like and partied with not too long ago at Olivier's. Her parents have a gallery in Zurich I think. She knows one of the business development people at Sotheby's because that person's son works at her parent's gallery.

Image Courtesy of www.sothebys.com:
LOT 26

PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF WOLFGANG JOOP
TAMARA DE LEMPICKA
1898 - 1980
PORTRAIT DE LA DUCHESSE DE LA SALLE

4,000,000—6,000,000 USD

No comments: